Tuesday, March 24, 2009

My Dave Sim Collection ...

I recently received a package from Dave Sim ... it this package was a letter and original art. The character drawing that he enclosed was a gift I appreciate very much. I am now very much looking forward to glamourpuss #7 in May and the character that he says would not have been had it not been for me.

Dave, this is so very, very cool.
















Dave Sim was the creator and artist on Cerebus for 300 issues. I picked up my first issue (#16) and followed the story to its conclusion. Over the years I have also collected other works Sim was involved in working on.

This post is to show off a bit of the other material I have collected. Much of this collection comes directly from Dave himself.

I had the good fortune to meet Dave at Zanadu Comics in Seattle in the early 90s when he was on tour. He autographed a few issues for me and drew a Cerebus head for me on a poster. In addition, he autographed a charcoal drawing of Cerebus that I had done. I had my fanboy geek on something fierce.

Yes, I had a letter printed in an issue of Cerebus during the Melmoth storyline. I have only had three letters printed in comics. The issue of Cerebus, an issue of Hepcats, and one in Bone.

Years later, I received written responses to a couple other letters I wrote. The letters directly responded to my comments. A two page letter in response to a couple of poorly written letters by me took me a bit by surprise. However, I had done a poor job of supporting my arguments and Dave's responses did a good job of pointing that out.

Then one day I got some original pencils in the mail. These were pencils Dave uses to later light table onto the pages. He apparently sent out a bunch of these to fans. Needless to say, some of these are framed and on my walls.

Also in the pictures is my autographed Cerebus issue from the Neil Gaiman practical joke and a note where Dave sent me another autographed Cerebus for a friend of mine. Plus, there is another signed poster that was a gift and my promotional issues of glamourpuss #1 and Judenhass.

Shotgun Prose has reviewed and commented on glamourpuss issues and Judenhass. I have also signed the online petition for Dave and commented on that "controversy" in other posts.

So, to totally keep my fanboy geek on I must say this. This collection of stuff is something I enjoy having and displaying and I would not have most of it if Dave Sim was not generous with his readers.