Thursday, October 01, 2009

Redeemed


Mark Waid is ... apparently redeemable after all.

This Spring at the Emerald City Comicon I flat out dismissed the promotion for Mark Waid. I have never been a huge fan or opponent of his work per se. Kingdom Come was very good. But I didn't really care for his work on two of my favorite series' in recent years, most especially his horrific run on Legion of Super Heroes. For the record, his Ka-Zar was okay, but failed to wow me. LOSH was so bad that future writers have only sort of acknowledged the entire background he tried to establish. I hated that run.

So, I didn't get one of the available issues of Irredeemable at the time. I was so intent on not screaming at him for his LOSH run that I could not even consider this new title, Irredeemable. I walked past the booth and saw all the issues and the tee shirts and all and just didn't really even give it a look. This was a mistake.

With my attentions elsewhere this year, the first several issues of Irredeemable passed me by with nary a glance in its direction. A recent mention or two of it though (thank Wil) and I look into it and realize my mistake. I pick up the trade and the cheap #5 and am looking for a #6 as I write this. This is very, very good stuff.