Thursday, January 28, 2010

Don't feed the squirrels



I feed the squirrels in my back yard.

Some of the food they get from me is meant for birds. But, the squirrels are so determined to get to it that it amuses me more than bothers me.

For the cat it is like having Avatar in the back yard, a life sized 3D jungle world for him to sit and stare at, only with a better plot.

Then the other day I had an extra piece of drying out corn bread. I stepped outside and tossed it to what seems to be the Alpha squirrel, the one that stands up to me, is absolutely not afraid of the cat, and tries to get inside sometimes when I open the door.

I toss the corn bread. I don't mean to, but I hit him square in the chest with it. He doesn't even flinch, like he is some kind of super squirrel. He has what I think are 6 other squirrels under his command and my daughter says is 7. He picks up the corn bread and takes a bite, suddenly diving in like a fury. Another squirrel comes over and takes a nibble. Not long after one of the squirrels has the corn bread up in a tree going to town on it and obviously trying to keep it for his or her own use only. The corn bread finally breaks and is dropped. Squirrels scurry around and later when I look outside, the cornbread is gone.