Wednesday, September 01, 2010

Book List 2010 ... month eight

I must admit that going into August it seemed plausible that I could hit #100 by Labor Day. We will find out next month, but I am still on a really good pace. It seems odd to think that reading 11 books in a month feels like a letdown of sorts and yet it almost does. 100 beckons.

Seattle Sounders FC Season One by Chad Mack (Author), Richard Morrison Ph. D. (Photographer), Drew Carey (Foreword)
This is a nice look at the inaugural MLS season of the Seattle Sounders FC. If you look closely in some of the pictures you can see me, I am the guy in the jersey wearing a scarf.

Uncertainty: Einstein, Heisenberg, Bohr, and the Struggle for the Soul of Science by David Lindley
These are some of the most rational thinking minds of the past hundred or so years and yet they were capable of moments of petty bickering that can make even theoretical physics seem like a soap opera.

Darkly Dreaming Dexter by Jeff Lindsay
I recently began watching the Dexter TV series on DVD and decided to read the original novels. It is always interesting to me to see the changes from book to screen. I do mean interesting, as I am not one of those readers who go all unhinged at changes.

Dearly Devoted Dexter by Jeff Lindsay
Once I have actual actors in mind I can picture them when I am reading. In this instance it means I am constantly picturing Julie Benz ... so I am okay with this.

The Making of Toro: Bullfights, Broken Hearts, and One Author's Quest for the Acclaim He Deserves by Mark Sundeen
Jorge loaned this to me and I can hardly describe it. So, the best I can do is to say that this is a fictional memoir about a non-fiction book that was never written via a pen name and we are to read it as a first person narrative from the perspective of the fictional character that did not write this non-fiction book. About Bullfighting.

Cyborg by Martin Caidin
This is the original science fiction novel from the early 1970s that led to The Six Million Dollar Man franchise. I really loved that show as a kid and to go back and read the source material was quite nostalgic. Caidin wrote a story about a guy being rebuilt at a time too many young men were coming home with pieces missing from war. It is not hard to see why this resonated with an older crowd than I was at the time.

The Mocking Program by Alan Dean Foster
I have always enjoyed Foster's work and this book is no exception. Near future novels that deal with the way the world might become are interesting to me. There might just be ghosts in the machine after all.

The Facts Behind the Helsinki Roccamatios by Yann Martel
Four short stories by Yann Martel ... not a bad way to spend a few afternoons.

Dexter in the Dark by Jeff Lindsay
The third book in the series ... I am reading them quickly it seems.

Dead As A Doornail by Charlaine Harris
The fifth in the Sookie Stackhouse novels. The differences are not great in the characterizations between the books and the TV series, other than maybe Tara. If I write too much it might be a spoiler to those who have only watched on the telly ...

Shaggy Planet by Ron Goulart
More silly 1970s scifi that I have picked up at used book stores ... this one cost me 47 cents. Well, 47 cents were deducted from the credit slip anyways.

August total = 11 / YTD = 96 (goal 100)