Friday, October 01, 2010

Book List 2010 ... month nine

This month had been the grind month I worried would happen earlier in the year and screw up the goal of 100 books. So, while this is also the month I hit #100 (September 11), it is also the month I went days at a time without actually reading anything. In part, not reading is because I am writing more again, which is good. But, it was also because as a goal-oriented person the goal was complete and I tend to lose my way.

Dexter by Design by Jeff Lindsay
Book 4 of the Dexter books that led to the TV series. The details are different in a number of ways from the show, but the voice and tone are spot on. These read fairly quick, I think in part because I can hear the TV voice and picture the actors and locations from that.

Captain America And The Falcon: Secret Empire by Steve Englehart & Mike Friedrich (Authors), Sal Buscema (Illustrator)
This is a collection from a storyline in the 1970s that I think I can now only appreciate as I look back in time.

Among The Hidden by Margaret Peterson Haddix
This is the first - of apparently 7 - books in something called the Shadow Children series that looks at forcible population control measures in a dystopian future and is written to a Young Adult audience. The story is actually pretty heavy thematically and came to me from my son. I am not certain, but I might find myself reading the rest of this series.

The Thieves of Manhattan by Adam Langer
A novel about fraud and the amazingly thin line between fiction and non-fiction in memoirs. There was an episode of "It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia" I watched at about the same time that dealt with this very theme.

Kick-Ass by Mark Millar and John Romita, Jr.
The collected graphic novel version of the 8 issues that led to the movie. Mark Millar as a comic writer has moved into some seriously elite company in the comics field in recent years and this is part of why. Not for the squeamish.

The Inaugural Address, 2009 by Barack Obama
This is actually a collection that includes both inaugural addresses of another Illinois senator that became president, The Gettysburg Address, and a piece by Ralph Waldo Emerson.

The Song Is You by Arthur Phillips
I found some of the thematic elements of this to be interesting given the novel I am currently writing and am glad I stumbled upon it. Art should remain important in life even as we "mature". I will be reading other books from this writer.


All My Sins Remembered
by Joe Haldeman
I got this for a quarter and the first section held my interest much later than I wanted to be up reading the night I cracked this open.

Dork Diaries 2: Tales from a Not-So-Popular Party Girl by Rachel Renee Russell
I read the first of these this Winter with my daughter and the 2nd one was brought to me to continue this trend. As I was never an 11 year old girl, it is probably a good idea for me to read stuff like this so I can get an idea of what is going on there.

100 Things Seahawks Fans Should Know & Do Before They Die by John Morgan
I am more of a Seahawks fan in the sense that I am a Mariners fan ... they are the local teams and so I root for them. This is still enjoyable, but I am much more of a college football fan and just don't have that same level of emotional attachment.

The Terminal State by Jeff Somers
Book 4 of what will be at least 5 of this techno-dystopian future sci-fi series. Somers does a nice job of painting a vivid and detailed picture of the world after technology and war and politics have wreaked havoc. This would make a great Syfy Channel series.

Among The Impostors by Margaret Peterson Haddix
As my son works his way through this series so will I. I am really enjoying the viewpoint of a 12 year old as we get the details of a world that is "over-populated". In this second book our main character has assumed a new identity and is living at a boarding school.

September total = 12 / YTD = 108 (goal 100)