Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Finding a dance groove again


Dancing.

It seems weird to think about how long I have been dancing and how far I have managed to go as a lead. Leading a woman about a dance floor to a song I like with good dance chemistry is something I never thought I would achieve. Yet, I cannot seem to generate any real dancing momentum any more.

There are a lot of factors that can explain my lack of dancing momentum. For instance, the group of dance partners I once cultivated as I learned to dance is mostly disbursed. I know longer have one or two reliable dancing partners that I can regularly contact or rely upon to be somewhere at a particular place and time. The venues where I once danced have significant dance culture issues. Well ... yes, all of these things are true. However, all of them are easy to overcome in many ways.

As a single male, when I go to a dance venue I am often in a situation where there are a lot of guys. However, there may be a lot of guys dancing, but not always a lot that can lead. After a few dances I can often shake loose from being just a guy there to being a lead women want to dance with. As a result the lack of previous dance partners being present does not always cause me problems.

Yet, I keep trying ... so there is a part of me that needs it. So, here I go again.