Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Chiming in

There are a number of interesting and amazing women in my life.

Strong female lead vocal rock bands tend to be the main focus of my musical tastes in recent years.

I am excited to think we are about to have a woman be POTUS.

Events I work at have added anti-harassment policies so that women can feel safe attending.

It appears that ECCC might have tipped the gender balance to more women than men and to me that is awesome.

Not everyone feels that the above sentences are positive.

People are just as entitled to believe things that I do not as I am to believe in what I do.

But, there is a line.

Nothing justifies acting on ugly ideology.

Basically, I do think that men need to chime in and raise the bar on the cultural behavior expectations when it comes to women.

Being frustrated because someone is not romantically interested is simply something that happens and works across genders and combinations of gender.

Yes, it hurts when someone is not as interested in you as you are in them.

We've all been there and been the one showing less interest, even if we did not know it at the time.

All people should be treated with respect.

Hating people and acting on it is cowardice and not heroic.

I am going to have zero tolerance for anyone who feels entitled to another person's body.

As I watch the trends on Twitter and commentary on misogyny that is raging after the recent anti-woman rampage I want to chime in but have hesitated.

However, it felt like nothing but an arrogant exercise to say, "Not me!"

A little rambling post like this is my way of chiming in.

To those showing anything even remotely excusing or justifying anything related to what happened on any level, I do not want anything to do with you.