Wednesday, January 30, 2019

So, the cool writing gig changed suddenly

For the past several seasons I have covered the Seattle Reign FC for ProstAmerika.com and @goalieguys with Vanya Tucherov.

After posting a piece about a calm off-season yesterday, today the club moved to Tacoma. The move to Tacoma is a sensible one given the practical realities the club faces in regards to finances and a stadium.  I am not going to argue about that because it is simply true.

For me though, it means a run of about 50 matches over four seasons without missing a game at Memorial Stadium is a record that simply is in place forever.

I will still be covering the (no longer Seattle but simply) Reign FC.  The number of matches I make in person is now a bunch less.  The simple logistics of a 59 mile one way drive through two cities and the traffic mess that is I5 is a nightmare.  So, I will catch matches here and there and likely one in PDX when visiting fam.

Suddenly, the cool writing gig is simply no longer the same.