Wednesday, December 04, 2019

Five years of this soccer journalism thing

Five years ago this fall I got a chance to do some writing commenting and covering the USWNT matches from afar for ProstAmerika. During that same period of time I also guested on the Radio Cascadia podcast through them.  It was a chance to do some writing and a little work with a friend Vanya.

It went well, apparently, and so the chance to work with Vanya and Prost continued as 2015 kicked off covering the Reign FC in Seattle with me writing and Vanya shooting pics.  We work well together and started the @GoalieGuys stuff to promote and get ourselves entrenched with media folks.  Over time, the GoalieGuys thing has been a good place to do what we wanted to do separate from and in conjunction with the other coverage.  It has paid off to have that ongoing presence as it is now recognized in the credentialing we do.


Also, it has led to some opportunities I did not expect.  Single match coverage of two NWSL finals and an MLS Cup, some USWNT appearances in Seattle, the soccer version of the Apple Cup a few times, and a Cascadia Derby have all been opportunities that would not have happened without Prost and GoalieGuys together. 

The ongoing GoalieGuys thing also has given me a chance to comment and sort of cover things when not there specifically in media at things like the 2015 WWC in Vancouver or a Tacoma Stars match last winter.  Ongoing presence online is a thing that matters.

In 2016 I got to contribute to a book.  I have a book I have been working on for some time that is going to be cross promoted now and have at least some small starting audience that can view it as legit.  Another couple of podcast appearances on the first and on another  one followed and I am able to work with these interesting folks and found myself asking Victor about the 2nd goal in the final last month in the presser.  This was never actually part of a grand plan, but I will take it.


Onward.