Friday, December 30, 2022

10 year old me remembers

 When I turned ten years old it was 1977.

1977 was the expansion year of the Seattle Mariners.  During that summer I got to see the New York Yankees come to town.  The 77 Yankees are legendary in baseball lore.  It was an amazing game the M's actually won.

1977 was when Star Wars was released.  I got to see it in the theatre.  I got the novel and the comics and was listening to the condensed movie on vinyl over and over.

1977 also was the summer where I got to see Pele. Twice. In July in Seattle in the old Kingdome and the Sounders won 1-0.  It was amazing. The next month I was in Portland with the family as the Cosmos defeated the Sounders 2-1 in the Soccer Bowl in what was Pele's final regular match.  Exhibitions would follow, but as a competitive player that was it.

Pele passed this week.  He is still the GOAT.  

RIP Edson.