Friday, August 28, 2009

Famous Athletes (Ephemera Project)

The Ephemera Project has been fairly comprehensive about the games and teams I have managed to see. This list is about athletes of not and is taking into account the great local athletes and teams I got to see along with those that have passed through ...

Basketball
There have been some great Sonics players like Jack Sikma, Gary Payton, Fred Brown, Shawn Kemp, Sam Perkins, Dennis Johnson and others ...
I have also been able to see John Havlicek, Magic Johnson, Kareem, Hakeem, Larry Bird, Michael Jordan, Charles Barkley, David Robinson, Tim Duncan, Bill Walton, Bill Russell (on the streets of Seattle in a suit), and John Stockton (at a Safeway in Spokane shopping for groceries) ...

The Storm and Reign have provided me with opportunities to watch Sue Bird, Lauren Jackson, Swin Cash, and Sheryl Swoopes ...
Also, I have been able to watch Cynthia Cooper, Jennifer Azzi, Becky Hammon, Lisa Leslie and others ...

Football
I have been to far more college than pro football games.
The Seahawks I have watched basically is their entire Ring of Honor, plus some of the current players at a scrimmage.
I have been able to see a lot of Pac-10 greats like Keyshawn Johnson along with Cougar greats like Bledsoe, Rypien, and Mayes ... plus some noteworthy Huskies like Chandler, Brunell, and Emptman ...
In the Kingdome era I was able to see Elway, Marino, and Leaf ...
I met Alan Page at a lecture and also got to listen to Rocky Bleier give a speech in college ...

Baseball
There have been some great Mariners players and I have seen virtually them all a number of times. I also have been able to see a number of HOF players like Ripken, Fisk, Brett, and Ryan. Other greats and HOF players include Reggie Jackson, Catfish Hunter, Derek Jeter, Chipper Jones, and Thurman Monson ...

Golf
I went to a Senior PGA event once and got to see Chi Chi and Arnie, amongst other older greats ...

Hockey
I have never been to an NHL game, but there have been numerous WHL players go on to be significant NHL players. At the 2002 Olympics Mike Eruzione and Jaromir Jagr were in attendance at a game I was at.

Soccer
Sounders games have allowed me to see World Cup winners suit up for Seattle like Geoff Hurst and Bobby Moore. Current Sounders FC players like Ljungberg and Keller also are noteworthy.
The Tacoma Stars had some greats like Zungul and Preki and played teams that included Tatu and Johan Neeskens.
However, the NASL era allow me to see many all time greats and my travels in soccer to multiple World Cups for both men and women have allowed me to see many other noteworthy players and virtually all noteworthy American men and women of the past few decades. Players include Pele, Roger Milla, Diego Maradona, Beckenbauer, Cruyff, Beckham, Sun Wen, Birgit Prinz, Paulo Maldini, Ryan Giggs, and many others ...