Monday, January 24, 2011

Bees

I do not like dreaming about having bees on me. Lately, it seems like that is happening all the time. There is usually just one, it tends to be on my forearm, and it is a huge strain to try and flick it off. The tendency is then that I wake up, either because I am getting stung or because I am physically flicking my arm and startling myself. It is hard to know exactly which one it is, although both seem to be cousins of the whole "pinch me" approach to determining whether one is awake or asleep. In the dreams I do have a sensory memory of being calm and rational about it all, which is off since I have generally tended to be spastic and panic stricken in the real world most of my life. Since my kids were born I have developed a new bee sting backbone and have managed to confront potential bee sting situations with much more of a "man up" approach than in the decades preceding. Ending up in the hospital getting steroid shots in the ass from a scary as hell nurse is not something I relish ever repeating. Long story.

Dreams are made of our thoughts, fears, goals, anxieties, and subconscious trying to work through those situations. I don't believe in any of that silly nonsense about dreams having precognitive powers, but even just writing that sounds pretentious and condescending so I am not going to expand or expound on it here, even though is is at least somewhat useful and necessary to state it at least briefly for the perspective to be understood. Not that being afraid of bees and being stung when deathly allergic is too complicated, but still ...

There are all sorts of meaning about bees in the psychological literature that I have found about it representing anger and control issues. So maybe I dream about bees when I am in a higher anxiety period? This sort of speculation could go off the rails really quickly.

Bottom line is I am tired about dreaming about bees.