Wednesday, March 19, 2008

on rec ...

on rec ...

I kind of sometimes sort of like it when friends recommend something to me. But, here's the deal; if the movie or whatever sucks ... you don't get to recommend anything for a while or expect me to listen. Yes, taste is one's own, but if you are going to recommend something, know enough about the person to know if it makes sense to recommend to them what you are recommending ... seems obvious ...

You can't recommend the classics or the obvious ... it's like in High Fidelity ... you can't recommend Smells Like Teen Spirit ...

I am going to post recommendations here on occasion ... not links, because those have to be constantly updated ... but lists of things that make sense that I hope people would like ... things that may have been overlooked ...

1) Books: recent nonfiction - non-soccer

Bobby Fischer Goes To War
Bringing Down the House
Ciao, America!
The Black Swan
The Heroin Diaries
Geeks

1a - (notable books that I read years ago that I still want on my shelf and mostly do not have)

Peregrine
The Clan of the Cave Bear
Where the Red Fern Grows
How to Eat Fried Worms
Excalibur
The Eternity Brigade
The HAB Theory
Garan the Eternal


2) Music: some great records I rediscovered I have with my new turntable and old box of cassettes

Ratt "Out of the Cellar"
Riot "Born in America"
Led Zep "In Through the Out Door"
Arcadia "So Red the Rose"
Power Station
The Allies "Emma Peel"
Dio era Sabbath
Metal Church "The Dark"

Other odd lists:

3) "recent" black and white movies

Following
Pi
Coven
The Blair Witch Project
Clerks
Sin City

4) submarine movies

Gray Lady Down
Das Boot
The Hunt for Red October
Crimson Tide
K19 The Widowmaker
U571
The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

5) columnists - as opposed to bloggers

Bill Simmons - The Sports Guy - ESPN.com
Bob Berman - Strange Universe - Astronomy Magazine

This is just a start ... maybe ...

No comments:

Post a Comment