Friday, December 05, 2008

Walking to the Subway

I chose to turn left.

Although that in general should not surprise anyone metaphorically speaking it proved to be a huge waste of time when it came to getting food on a Friday night in Mukilteo.

See ... I had enough points on the card to get a free sub at that huge chain. So, while I was primarily was walking to the grocery store to get some staple items it occurred to me that it would be a good time to cash in those points and bring home a big sandwich.

I have been living in Picnic Point and shopping out on the Speedway for almost four years now. Simply by driving through and paying attention at all I have a decent awareness of what is out there for me to grab a quick bite when necessary. At least I thought I had a better awareness than it turns out I do.

I knew there was at least one Subway along the Speedway ... and there is ... but not where I was certain it would be. No big deal in principle, but a pain in the @$$ when walking several miles on a Friday night.

Walking to the store instead of driving was a way of loosening my legs and killing off some time. It is about 2 miles each way just to the grocery store from my apartment. I was convinced that I had seen the yellow sign just down the road to the left. Well, there is one down to the left ... a few more miles away than I was certain it was. So, I kept walking as it was getting close to 10PM and I was not certain it would be open until a very convenient 11PM on a Friday night. I walked almost an additional mile before I realized my error. I was hungry. Jack's lobby was closed. Every restaurant was closed at ten. On a Friday night along the Speedway virtually everything was closed.

Had it even been there it would have been closed. Once again I am reminded of the general suburban lameness I trade for the tranquility and peace of the area I live in.

Trudging back up to the grocery store and realizing how much of an incline I was on my mood turned sour. Trudging uphill on a much longer walk than I had intended to go on to not find a restaurant I wanted to go to made me realize that had I simply turned right I would have gone a shorter distance to find the restaurant closed anyways.

A week later I have not used those points yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment