Tuesday, June 10, 2014

I do not know what to do

I generally avoid a lot of big news tragedy stories.  The media coverage feels dirty.

Several years ago a classmate had a parent killed in a school shooting as a teacher.  It was close enough to home that I have always tried to keep a respectful distance.

The other day there was a tragedy in my home town at a place I hold in high regard that has a special place in my heart. I felt horrible, but I still kept a respectful distance.

And then the next morning my phone rang and I got the news.  I knew the guy.

I had worked with him, liked him, and even given him a ride home.

It's heartbreaking for so many reasons. I am sick to my stomach about so much of this, plus this additional detail.

It's not about me, but I just feel so awful that I do not know what to do.