Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Predictable Patterns

Predictable Patterns

Recently, I was subbing a math class. The teacher gave out a packet of work, which in common language is known as busy work. The classes were about as enthusiastic as one would imagine about the obvious spinning of their wheels, but did settle in to work. They must be afraid of not getting it done.

Well, I decided to do the assignment, I was bored enough. In fact, one class was so quiet I got up and did a quick head count to see if some of them had snuck out.

Anyways, I got stumped on a couple items under what was called “Predictable Patterns”. I got through the first 13 fairly quickly, but could not get 14 and 15. The patterns would list numbers and you had to determine what the next numbers in the sequences were. The every odd number one or the every three numbers one were easy. The each number goes up by the square of 1, 2, 3 etc … in order was trickier. I could not get the following two. The teacher did not leave a key and I have not been back to that school yet to ask her. That will happen soon.

1, 4, 9, 1, 6, 2, 5, 3, 6, 4, 9, 6, 4, ___, ___, ___, ___

And 1, 1, 4, 3, 9, 6, 16, 10, 25, 15, ___, ___, ___, ___

Any help would be greatly appreciated. And by help, I do mean the answers.

No comments:

Post a Comment