Sunday, December 31, 2006

6 degrees of Jefferson ...

I have spent some time on The Internets recently looking up old friends. I have found a few on Myspace and through Google and reunion websites; a few I have contacted, others I have not.

There are all sorts of theories on degrees of separation that I will not go into now. Suffice it to say it was very interesting the other night when I discovered that one of the girls I briefly dated while a sophomore in high school had not only dated a good friend of mine, but married him and they had a child together. I had no idea until we were joking around about some stuff. Since he had always referred to her as his son’s mom and never by name, and there aren’t any pictures of them together sitting out, and since I have never been around when there was a drop off or pick up, it just had never come up in conversation until he mentioned her by name. I mentioned I used to date a girl in that town by that name. He said her maiden name. I dropped my pen. There is no real way of me reasonably contacting her to see how things are going now, so she will have to remain in the found out about but did not contact column of the ledger.

Old friends and people that fall out of our lives never change. We remember them in time and space. Seeing them again can be bittersweet and disconcerting as they make such a rapid age change when they reappear.

No comments:

Post a Comment