Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Not my story to tell ...


I did not know Andy Wood.

I enjoyed the music he made. I wish he had made more. Andy Wood died 17 years ago this week.

When Andy died I was dealing with my first issue as the Editor in Chief of City Heat Magazine. A writer/editor for the magazine had the opportunity to interview Andy shortly before his death. The issue was facing a rapid deadline. Due to the nature of Andy's death being from a drug overdose I made the decision not to bump the cover story from the cover, but to add a tribute to Andy. In retrospect, I still do not know if that was the right thing to do, but I did it and it has never felt like the wrong thing to do, so I have to assume that if given the same circumstances I would make the same choice again.

That week I witnessed a lot of things in the Seattle music scene of the time. I had the opportunity to attend a fairly private gathering of many of Andy's friends. I remember it vividly, especially the feeling of being an outsider.

That experience led me to think about what it would be like to be in that situation since I was so close to it, but to have something more than an interview on tape. I wrote the beginnings of a script of a man who interviews and records two songs with a famous rock star just before he dies. The choices the writer has to make about what to do with the music he owns the only copy of felt like a natural script.

We writers all draw upon our experiences when we write ... it is normal, expected even. We draw upon news items, historical events, personal happenings, and observations of the people around us. I remember a critique of Chasing Amy was that it was not Kevin Smith's movie to make since he was not a lesbian. In Kevin's defense, the movie is more about a guy falling in love with a lesbian than being about the lesbian, but I digress.

Yes, I was a witness to events. But, in this instance, I felt like I was truly stealing someone else's story and that it wasn't mine to tell. I have shelved that story.

So, I miss Andy Wood's music. I wish I could have witnessed a headline tour of Mother Love Bone. There never should have been a Pearl Jam. But, the world works the way it works and what should or should not happen do not really matter. What matters is what does happen.

As I said 17 years ago, my sincere condolences go out to Andy Wood's family and friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment