Thursday, May 24, 2007

Cerebus and Captain America #25 ....



Cerebus and Captain America #25 ....

I was recently faced with a - for me anyways - moral conundrum. See, I hate comic book speculation. It drives me nuts. Comic speculation drove a spike into the comic book industry in the 90s that financially hurt a lot of people. But, there I was. What do I do with my first printing of Captain America #25?

Fair reader, you might have recently heard about Captain America #25. Steve Rogers was shot and killed. News reports of this issue had people who NEVER buy comics looking for this one issue. Retailers had been warned something was up, but orders did not nearly match demand. Online sales of this comic quickly jacked up up to triple digits in some instances. Marvel was ready with second a printing, but we all know that first printings are the only ones that have collectable value. Personally, I am content with a reading copy as a second printing, so I seriously considered selling my first printing at a huge markup and buying a second printing when it came out.

As of posting this blog entry, I have not sold my Captain America #25 first printing.

See, I still read comics. Love them. I always have. I don't get many these days for a variety of reasons, but I still keep a box at Corner Comics. I am not entirely certain if the handful of titles I grab warrants a box, but as a longtime patron with a store owner who understands the industry I still am treated like a valued customer.

I even worked at a comic shop in high school for a while.

I read Cerebus from 16 to 300. (Dave Sim sent me the pencil drawing scanned and posted here.)

There was a little comic called The Crow that was on the stands one day so I picked it up.

My brother's fifth grade teacher told my parents that we were reading and if they squelched this stuff then we would turn off from reading completely. He was right.

I have been to numerous comic conventions (although never to a Star Trek one) and comic signings.

I really hope the industry survives Captain America #25 ...

No comments:

Post a Comment