Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Sometimes you have to choose sides ...

Sometimes you have to choose sides ...

AC Milan vs. Liverpool - May 23, 2007 - Athens, Greece - UEFA Champions League Final

In college hoops I root for two teams; Wazzu and the Zags ... it means that in general I have a lot of fun since they play in different conferences, but once a year they face each other and I have to make a decision who to root for ... but, I am a Coug more than I am a Zag and so that will always play itself out. In 1996 I stood in the student section on campus at Wazzu and watched the Cougs beat the Zags in the first round of the NIT and it became cemented in my psyche that in the end I can only root for the one team.

For a time I faced a similar Sonics and Celtics dilemma, but that is another story for another time ....

In European soccer I face a similar dilemma. I support both AC Milan and Liverpool. Two years ago they played in the UEFA Champions League Final in what is widely considered to be a classic. My reaction to the Liverpool win was enough to tell me who I primarily support ... Liverpool. So, in the 2007 rematch, I find that I must also admit that I support Liverpool first ....

But, watching Paulo Maldini hoist the trophy in what could be his last game ... that was sweet ....

No comments:

Post a Comment