Wednesday, May 23, 2007

I Don't Watch American Idol ...


Bucky Covington - May 12, 2007 - Auburn Performing Arts Center (5PM Show)

I don't watch American Idol.

I don't listen to country radio.

But, my kids do ... meaning that I have an "awareness" of these things more than I would otherwise have.

See, Ringo is a big fan of Bucky (Bucky Covington) of American Idol fame. Bucky didn't win the show, but it turns out in some ways it is simply better to place high than to win it outright. And now, Bucky has a new CD out and is touring and so my son loaned me the CD to listen to since he had tickets and we were going.

Actually, the cd is good. I actually genuinely like it.

But, how good would Bucky be live?

As an opening act I have seen four acts in my life that I felt would clearly rise above being opening acts very quickly. These four performers were so obviously and clearly not opening acts that I knew I would not see them in that role again. I was correct all four times. Each of these performers were strong enough on record, but were actually better live.

(For the record .... 1987 Poison - 1988 Guns 'n Roses - 1989 Skid Row - 1990 Alice in Chains)

Bucky Covington was better live. He has charisma, stage presence, a strong voice, and seems to genuinely enjoy performing. I think I have found act number five that will clearly jump to headliner in a hurry.

Bucky was the opening act for Neal McCoy at the Auburn Performing Arts Center. First of all, it was a great little venue. We had 8th row seats. It was the first real concert my son and I were attending together. Bucky played seven of the eleven songs on his record, along with a rocking cover of the Georgia Satellites' hit "Keep your Hands To Yourself".

(For the record he played .... American Friday Night - A Different World - Back When We Were Gods - I'm Good - It's Good To Be Us - Hometown - Empty Handed)

Neal MCoy puts on a good show. He is funny, with a great rapport with the crowd. There were a couple songs of his I actually knew like "The Shake" and "Billy's Got His Beer Goggles On". Although, I think I enjoyed Neal much more than Ringo did.