Friday, July 20, 2007

Ampco Parking is an honorable company ...

Ampco Parking is an honorable company ...

It is far easier to complain about a situation than it is to give kudos. Case in point, a recent problem I had with Ampco Parking. Instead of going off in a huff, I took a moment, composed a polite letter, and gave them the opportunity to respond.

*********** (excerpt from letter dated June 29, 2007)

Dear Ampco:

I occasionally park in your lots. It does not happen often. I always park in your lot since it is a seven dollar special for working in the building. However, on Wednesday I was informed it was eleven dollars since I had come in later than previously. I had grabbed seven dollars and did not have other payment with me, surprised by the difference, but understanding that the early special was the seven dollars. My error. I offered to go and get the money, but the man at the booth said it was no problem and said I could mail it in, he would just give me an envelope. He handed me back my seven dollars with the envelope.

When I went to write the check last night I discovered that there was an additional charge that is a significant amount compared to my offer to go back inside to get the four dollars difference. I do not believe that he intentionally deceived me, but had I known that it was not just an envelope I would not have accepted the other to take it with me. I would have backed up, parked, and came back in a few minutes.

Your envelope indicates that I have APPEAL RIGHTS. I am asserting those appeal rights here and now.

I figure that your company is honorable and only wishes to fine those who truly commit violations and not those who thought someone was doing them a favor.

Should Ampco System Parking have any further questions toward what is certainly a mere misunderstanding and clearly not a violation please contact my attorney (XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX). However, as this is clearly a miscommunication and not an actual violation, I am certain that it will not be necessary.

Thank you,

Jeff

***********

It has been a couple of weeks since the incident in question and when I checked with my credit union the check has cleared. I cannot imagine them cashing the check and still continuing to dispute the charge and I have not received anything in the mail in the several days since the check cleared to indicate they're pursuing this. So, barring something unfortunate requiring me to rescind and alter this post, I have to go on the record as saying that it appears that Ampco Parking is indeed an honorable company.

No comments:

Post a Comment