Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Is it starting again already?

I was very burned out on this election, yet still found myself watching the returns for hours on election night. Now, I am getting invitations for Obama parties after the election as supporters are working to build on the momentum. But ...

I have to admit I kind of expected it.

The politics of fear is poking through again ... I already hear it in some of the comments from people I know. It's disappointing. I am told that, "Obama thinks he has executive powers." We see a surge in gun sales, as though the shock troops will come out with a Democrat in the White House.

The Obama election was not the change itself, it reflects a change that had already come to pass that could no longer be squelched by the fearful politics of Rovism ...

I have been trying to explain that to some of the people I know. Will they give Obama a chance? Or, will they simply dive back in and do what has happened so many times before and try to break him down.

But, will it make it? Have we seen a real Sea Change where a new voting block has shifted the balance of power for a period of time. Is it possible that the new voters will become regular voters and embed the politics that Obama represents?

I imagine that there were book deals lined up in advance of the election to fan some flames. Does anyone doubt that the Hannity and Coulter publishers were not already gearing up for books prior to the election? It is only a matter of time before books start coming out trying to fan flames that we hope are fading ...

After all, the last real Sea Change election in this country led to a backlash that brought us Nixon anyways. I am seeing and hearing the attempts begin ... I just have to hope that this time the negativity is defeated and the Rovist politics and desire to keep people in a constant state of 9/12 fades from our national political identity.

No comments:

Post a Comment