Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Another Look At #2

Another Look At #2

I have been planning on a doing a series of these reviews for some time now to follow up on the Metal Church review. Instead, I am going to do one big post here with some snippets about why these records are worth a look years later.

Iron Maiden
The X Factor
I resisted this record to the point I pretended it did not exist ... almost like Highlander sequels. Then it was loaned to me. I played it and immediately liked it and played it again. And again. If a record gets my attention enough to spin it over and over again right away it goes to a special place in my collection. The second Blaze record was good, but not nearly this good.

Riot
Born In America
Riot was one of those bands that should have made it but didn't. They had a few records before flaming out. Every song on this record is great 80s rock. I played this tape out more than once. Master of Puppets had the same fate ... that alone should tell you how highly I think of this record

War Babies
War Babies
I actually have a weird connection to the bass player even though I don't recall ever meeting him. Paul Stanley produced a great record from one of the lost bands of the era that produced so many platinum bands from Seattle. I can still put this on and let it run through.

Aldo Nova
Twitch
Aldo Nova is likely thought of as a one hit wonder, yet this record from a few years after his big hit is actually a very solid 80s pop rock record. It doesn't quite reach the status of guilty pleasure, because it is not schlocky that way, but it is cool to put on and listen to from time to time now. Too bad no one seemed to notice at this point.

Jean Beauvoir
Drums Along the Mohawk
I stumbled across this record about the same time as the Aldo Nova one. There is a historical reference to the title after all I finally saw online a few years ago and probably should have known then. However, much like the Aldo Nova record above it is nice to put this record on from time to time.

Halford
Resurrection
The best Judas Priest album since Screaming For Vengeance, even though it was just Rob. The album fades in with a classic Halford scream and reminded fans to go back and listen to their JP records again. I saw Halford on Tour with Maiden and QR in support of this and it was one of the best shows I ever have attended.

Geoff Tate
Geoff Tate
A solo record for the QR front man that has never received much attention. It's too bad, because the pop side of QR is really evident. It is clearly not a QR record and the songs stand alone.

Mick Jagger
Goddess in the Doorway
I wish Mick would do more of this even though it got mixed reviews - which was hardly shocking. The title track alone is one I think of a lot when I see certain women.

These are some really good records you might have missed, but are worth the time to check out.

No comments:

Post a Comment