Wednesday, February 25, 2009

My father's work ethic

I am a single dad that gets no deductions despite providing for a percentage of my children's support and having additional basic living expenses in order to have a place they can stay on certain weekends.

I am not feeling sorry for myself. But, as I do my taxes and get punished by the system I must admit I am very frustrated.

My father worked hard and instilled that in me. I have worked my entire life and been willing to work OT, 2nd jobs, and holidays in order to try and get by. Yet, I find myself brutalized by the expense of living alone, but having the expenses of a family at the same time. I have a bigger place than I would otherwise need to be paying for. But, at tax time I have no "dependents" per se to claim.

The tax code needs to be reflective of the reality of single non-custodial fathers like me.

I am very frustrated today.

No comments:

Post a Comment