Friday, May 08, 2009

Playboy Buddy Rose

Paul Perschmann was in the first match of the first Wrestlemania. If you don't know the name it is not surprising. He was a masked wrestler that day, but most of his career he was known as Playboy Buddy Rose.

I loved hating him growing up. Watching the old late night from Portland "Big Time Wrestling" show he was the heel of that era for us. We would stay up and root for anyone he was against.

See, anyone can be disliked in wrestling, but not anyone can make you love hating him. It is immensely important to the story that the bad guy not simply be disliked, but that he give you a reason to want to watch him anyways. Too many wrestlers fail at remembering this. If I don't like a wrestler and don't care at the same time I don't watch.

I got to go to a wrestling card for the first time in 1982 with my bro, a cousin, and an aunt and uncle of mine. We saw a great card at Mercer Arena. That night I saw Buzz Sawyer and Chris Adams, both of whom have passed on too young. The main event was Ric Flair against Playboy Buddy Rose for the NWA World Title. This was big. But, Rose was the local guy and somehow everyone seemed to be rooting for him, even though he was a heel. I did not like it. Flair and Rose put on a great match and from where I was near ringside it was spectacular. Flair won and the crowd lamented Rose's loss. I stuck with hating Rose.

Paul Perschmann passed away recently. He was very, very good at what he did as Playboy Buddy Rose. I wish his family and friends the best. May he rest in peace.