Sunday, March 14, 2010

Geeks In Our Natural Habitat

























Emerald City Comicon
March 14, 2010

I was the third person there today. The girl in a pink wig at the ticket counter wanted me to walk the maze so she could point and laugh, but I simply went under the yellow "caution" tape instead because I am clearly such a rebel.

I got a picture of Leonard Nimoy's Left temple and ear. I got yelled at by Comicon Pawns for this. So, I kept trying anyways and got a picture of Leonard Nimoy's right temple and nose. I kept getting thwarted by people moving in the way.

I ended up with a box of autographed comics I worked over six hours of lines without a break to get signed ... and Flubber on VHS signed by Wil Wheaton ... all fueled by Powerade and a Milky Way bar ...

The pics in this post are mostly of comics artists and writers ... plus me with my bro, me with Wil Wheaton, some celebrity guests, Chad Vader's more successful older brother, and The Atomic Bombshells ...

I caught Ed Brubaker right before he took a break to watch Joe Q on stage, "Because I want to keep writing Captain America," he said. Then I caught Bendis later and he gave me a free comic because I was "sweet" for liking his Alias series. The Allred's are really nice. Brian Azzarello and I discussed the ending of 100 Bullets, confirming that I actually got the ending. Darick Robertson discussed inking styles and Spider Jerusalem. Guys I have been long time fans of like Kurt Busiek, Michael Golden, and Len Wein were very gracious about discussing their old books. Mark Waid signed the biggest stack of stuff I had for any one person without blinking. Tim Sale and I discussed Spring Training. Paige was nice enough to let me stash my box at her Corner Comics booth for part of the day. Wil Wheaton was very cool and gave me tips on publishing my writing. Catching lines at the right time is tough and I missed out on Geoff Johns by mere moments, but they had a really pretty girl holding the "I am the last person in line" sign and that felt like a dirty trick. Other artists and writers were also very cool. It is best to get stuff signed on Sunday and to be organized.

Having spent nothing on autographs or photos I still managed to get 142 items signed, although I got a total of 150 signatures since several items were signed by more than one creator - including a Vertigo Winter Special from 1999 signed by 5 of the creators. This also breaks down to one VHS cover, one flier, 3 ashcans, and the rest single issues or trades.