Monday, March 29, 2010

So THAT is what "All Inclusive" means ...


Seattle Sounders FC 2
Phildelphia Union 0
March 25, 2010

First of all, since reason actually prevailed a few days ago and a new CBA was reached without a strike ... game on!

Getting tickets to this game was more complicated than it really should have been, which is probably a good thing for the SSFC itself. With the elimination of the partial season ticket package I was hosed by the organization and need to go the single game route. For the record, I could have bought a season ticket and sold the tickets or something per the ticket rep suggestion, but if I had the money to front for that in the first place I would just buy season tickets. When single game tickets went on sale the ones in my budget range went "poof" and so a couple days before this tickets were managed to be procured through the SSFC ticket exchange. Nice when things don't directly impact your budget, since I got these without using money for bills.

The tickets turned out to be something called "All Inclusive", which I heard about last year and wanted to try. Fate put me in the position to try these.



And so the SSFC sent a message to Philly that they are the expansion team now. The Union mistook playing dirty for playing physical; they are not the same thing.

The Sounders got an early goal - a key for them I believe - and both first half goals were nice combo plays. Clearly, the core group concept for this season has good potential as this is now a team with a lot of games together and it showed in some of the passing and knowledge of where other players were going to be.




In re the "All Inclusive" ... I woke up with a Kobayashi hangover. That is all I have to say.

With this match there are only three MLS teams I have yet to see in person and I hope to complete the current 16 teams this season. I know I will never see the two contracted Florida teams, but so be it. It will be cool to complete the MLS by seeing Toronto, Columbus, and Chicago before I complete MLB here real soon as I have almost completed that as well.

The burning questions for me this year for the SSFC were pretty simple. First, would the Freddies (they each spell it differently so I am just using this version) be able to play well together or would they continue to be more effective when the other was off the pitch due to suspension, injury, or Sigi pulling on of them? Two, will keeping to the core team without major signings bring continuity or allow teams to exploit their known weaknesses? Trey, will we have to continue to see that huge Pete Carroll multi-story monstrosity every time we go to Qwest Field this season? Four, will our 40 year old keeper hold up? Yes, Keller has been durable, but at this stage in his career it is a valid question given how many close games the club tends to play with their finishing issues.



I ran into Union players and coaches at the airport Friday AM ... I was wearing a SSFC jersey and they would not even look at me. I did tell Seba he was welcome here any time and he very politely nodded and said, "Thanks." Nowak shook my hand and we chatted for a few moments, I told him that his team would get there at some point and he was gracious about it but I got the impression he knew I was just being nice because they were awful.

My advice to the Sons of Ben is to drink a lot of beer before, during, and after games because you will then have beer goggles and your team will maybe look better.