Friday, August 24, 2007

Within Temptation CD Review




Within Temptation CD Review

Within Temptation
The Heart of Everything
Roadrunner Records

Back in late May I went to see Lacuna Coil in concert. It was a multi-band line up including the band Within Temptation. I had heard a song or two of theirs in passing, but never really had paid them much attention. Then, Within Temptation completely blew me away in concert. They played a set that had new songs that I remembered specifically after the fact and looked forward to getting on record. The last time that had occurred to me seeing a band I had never heard before was Alice in Chains in 1989 …

So, I marked my calendar and went and purchased “The Heart of Everything”. It sort of felt like back in the day, waiting for “Powerslave” to come out or something like that. Given that I learned the hard way last year that there are no record stores in Bellevue, I did wait until the evening to go and get it instead of wasting a lunch hour frustrated and storming around downtown Bellevue cursing the demise of Tower Records.


The songs I specifically remember from the show like “What Have You Done”, “Our Solemn Hour”, and “Stand My Ground” are in fact the backbone of the release. But, this is a solid release.

Sharon den Adel is a fantastic vocalist with great stage presence and I look forward to seeing Within Temptation again.


********


In This Moment
Beautiful Tragedy
Century Media Records

Oddly enough, In This Moment was replaced by Within Temptation during the Lacuna Coil tour’s stretch through my part of the country. However, I did get the opportunity to see them perform on the 2nd Stage at Ozzfest just a few weeks later. I distinctly remember their set as I waited in line to meet 3 Inches of Blood. Later, the Ozzfest Sampler had the song “Beautiful Tragedy” on it and I checked out “Prayers” on You Tube.


It would be easy to dismiss In This Moment as Atreyu with a hot blond female lead singer, but that would not be fair. “Beautiful Tragedy” is a fairly mature and consistent work for a first record. Their second will tell the longevity tale, but I will enjoy this one for now.


********


3 Inches of Blood
Fire Up the Blades
Roadrunner Records

Back in 1986 Metal Church released ‘The Dark”. “The Dark” is still one of my favorite metal records of all time and stands up nicely against many of the more well known records of that era. “Watch The Children Pray” is a classic. Unfortunately, Metal Church went through singer changes and frankly never lived up to “The Dark”. Vocalist David Wayne passed a few years ago.

At Ozzfest this summer 3 Inches of Blood was very good and I mentioned to band members in the autograph line that they reminded me of Metal Church and they seemed to like that particular comparison.

I have been waiting for the true follow up to “The Dark” for 20 years now and “Fire Up The Blades” might just be that record.

No comments:

Post a Comment