Friday, September 08, 2006

Odd Thoughts, Midnight Ramblings, and Summer Dreams

Okay, so I stole that title from myself ... (see my 1989 collection of short stories, essays, and poetry) ... http://jeffrey_lageson.tripod.com/bookcovers89.PDF

------

Not to get nostalgic about Downtown Bellevue, but there used to be record stores there and now there don't seem to be any. Tower Records on NE 8th had the Queensryche signing I went to. There were record stores inside Bellevue Square, and there was another pretty good record store just outside the mall. Not so anymore. I only note this because I went to buy a cd at lunch on Tuesday and couldn't, because I couldn't find a record store anywhere there used to be one. What kind of a mall doesn't have a record store? (More on this subject in my upcoming Iron Maiden posting.)

I am watching a tv show the other night and there was an ad for a judge claiming to want to be the sort of judge that would not legislate from the bench. He was slamming the "liberal" opponent. Right. Conservatives want judicial activism just as much as liberals do, they just call it something else and have convinced themselves that it is something different. It's not. It never was. It never will be. They just don't want to say it.

One of the networks was showing the 9/11 documentary filmed by the two brothers that were on site that day that had been working with a local fire company. The footage contains some raw language and the Bush FCC was threatening to fine the network repeatedly for not beeping it. On a radio newscast there was a man making the argument that children could be watching, so of course it should be edited for content (censored). The network was planning to put a disclaimer about the language up for the public. In a piece as powerful as this documentary, which I have seen previously, the language is hardly the point. The Bush FCC is using 9/11 as yet another opportunity to legislate morality. How about this? Talk to your kids. I would have spoken to mine, let them know that the language in this is because people are under stress, and that they needed to understand that this is not language they should use or they would normally here. Know what? Most kids are smart enough to understand context. Kids are amazing. Instead of assuming kids are unable to handle some strong language, yet somehow able to handle the visuals of people jumping 110 stories in the same context. It has become exasperating how "children may be watching" is used as an excuse for so many things politically, and the same people who are doing so seem to have no respect for the kids they are trying to protect.

The other day I stood in the supply room looking for paper clips. After literally several minutes of frustrated searching, I realized not everything labeld "Staples" were staples ...

It was 315Am a few weeks ago. The bathroom door thunked, the light in the bathroom went on, I heard the some of someone using the toilet. Ever wake up totally disoriented, not knowing the day, time of day, or where you are? Had one of those moments. I got up, was reaching for my Louisville Slugger, conveniently propped next to the bathroom door. "Who's there?" "It's me, Jacob!" I apologize, completely disoriented and missing that the kids were over when I woke up. Poor kid probably had a hard time with the target after that. At least the Grinch upstairs didn't wake up, because if she had there would have been a note on my door or call tot he landlord (again). This time I would have actually been home and had done something, as opposed to the time she called the landlord for me being loud when I was working nights ...

I see car wrecks on the freeway. Like everyone else I turn and look. But, lately I have been trying not to. I have got to wean the Safeco out of me. Where most people look and maybe think about fault or injuries, I think, I hope they have adequate limits. I just can't look any more.

the fanboy in me ... with my AC MIlan flag and the lovely and talented Christina Scabbia http://www.emptyspiral.net/modules.php?set_albumName=album15&id=20060824scabbia2_001&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

and most of the rest of the band http://www.emptyspiral.net/modules.php?set_albumName=album15&id=20060824flag1_001&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

(more on this in the upcoming Ozzfest story)

I gave Tiger catnip for the first time. He stood on his hind legs just smelling it. I rubbed some on the new scratching post Papa made and he loved that scracthing post. He hugged it and purred and well, has been channeling Tommy Chong ever since ...

Jefferson

No comments:

Post a Comment