Friday, September 15, 2006

The same science teacher many moons later




Back when I was a sophomore and junior in high school I had this really good science teacher. For two years I took chemistry from him and his class was one of the best I had at good ol' Merry Mountlake.


I am in the photo to the right in the middle from The Mouse That Roared, a school play I was in during this time, and the other photo is me today at the dojang (oddly enough my hair is now the same color it was in that earlier photo).

Well ... the other night I was at my taekwondo dojang when I overheard a few of the high school age students talking about their science class at the end of the first week of school. Many of these kids go to my alma mater.

So, I asked, "Do you have Mr. Comeau?"

"Yes," they responded.

Given that my high school class has offspring old enough to be in high school (or in a few cases college), and given that staying at one job for a long time as a teacher even with tenure is pretty impressive (and rare) in its own way, and given the chance that these kids at the taekwondo dojang would have that one teacher many moons later, it seems statistically improbable to me to have ever happened.

I don't really have a joke here, it's just an observation.

No comments:

Post a Comment