Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Has Lost jumped the shark?

When the island disappeared at the end of Season 4 ... I have to admit I considered stopping watching the show ...

Can I pretend that never happened? Please ...

I put up with the Really Awful Special Effect killing Mr. Eko ...

I put up with the time travel crap, assuming it would be explained away as coincidence.

I put up with the never ending saga of Ross and Rachel ... I mean Jack and Kate ...

I look at the other great shows that I have watched. Having a show decline is not the same thing as Jumping The Shark. Alias jumped the Shark. Heroes slipped in its second season.

But the Island disappearing is one of the worst moments in television I have ever witnessed on a show I really like. The only thing comparable was when the Seinfeld cast walked away from the deathbed of Susan as if it was nothing.

Ultimately, I had found Lost to be a show grounded in reality ... and now it appears that they really have dove in the waters of sci-fi ... I like Sci-fi, but I always considered Lost to be ultimately grounded in reality. Now, it appears that the really lame and crazy island explanations are going to turn out to be true.

We had been assured that the crazy explanations were not going to be true when in fact it appears they are. And that is what Jumping The Shark is all about.

If it can somehow be redeemed ... they need to do it quickly or I might just leave them on the island.

2 comments:

  1. Oh ye of little faith. They've been implying for a long time that the island can move in space/time, that it somehow avoids detection by satellites, etc... as season 5 begins, we're seeing the outlines of the more sci-fi direction of the show. And I LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. True that they have been implying it ... but the writers have also gone out of their way - the entire run of the show - to say how everything would be explained and that the sci-fi elements would not be what is really happening ... it was ultimately a show grounded in reality. Lost has become silly. Juliet looks like an actress trying like hell to get fired from her obvious disgust with everything and the way she is basically walking through her lines. Next wed at nine I will not be glued to my set.

    ReplyDelete