Saturday, February 16, 2008

glamourpuss preview ...


"glamourpuss" (by Dave Sim) preview ...

Some things don't fit in the post office box I rent ... so, on occasion I get a little yellow card with the box number on it so that a postal employee can simply hand me the item. Sometimes they leave a key to one of the inside boxes, which is actually better. Since I do not always check the mail during postal service hours, the key is far more convenient. Plus, sometimes there is a line ... and there is no line slower than a postal service line. In a postal line nobody is ever ready when they get to the counter. On the rare occasion they have all the registers working the line still never moves. So, on days when I get the little yellow card it is best to be there in the AM when you can ring the bell and they will handle it at a side door. Today there was a little yellow card in the mail and I was there between the hours of 830AM and 1030AM; the hours in which ringing the bell should bring someone to the door. However, this is the postal service we are talking about. Even though I could hear people moving around, no one answered the door when I rang the bell at 1003AM. Nothing happened. I went inside until 1006, since the line had not moved and one of the ladies was just starting to write her check. I rang the bell again and waited until 1009 ... still nothing ... I rang it twice more and still nothing ... I finally went back inside ... and was only one extra person behind where I was the first time I had gone in since the line still had not moved ... answer the damn door between the hours of 830 and 1030 or take down the sign ... anyways ... there was an issue of "glamourpuss" ... the older gentleman looked at the word "glamourpuss" and hesitated handing it to my daughter, "It's from Canada," he said. I saw what it was and immediately went to work opening it, "It's a promo comic," I said...

About the issue ... it is clear that Dave has spent a considerable amount of time working on the craft of comic storytelling as this issue is primarily concerned with the photorealism technique he is using more than about the "glamourpuss" concept itself ... and I did find the combined history of photorealism and how he is incorporating it into his own artistic style to be more interesting than describing it here would seem. As such I can say that the visual element should be quite cool, but that it will be some time until we really see what "glamourpuss" really is about as a story, which is fine. I don't need to be spoon fed everything in the first taste. It is enough to have my curiosity peaked for the series to unfold ...

Thanks for the promo copy Dave ...

No comments:

Post a Comment