Saturday, February 16, 2008

The Great Kilt Experiment

The Great Kilt Experiment

I am supposed to be wearing my newly made Irish Kilt on St. Patrick's Day ...

The first week of August I decided I wanted a kilt ... the idea was to get a traditional Irish tartan kilt ... yes, there are such things ... I looked into the costs and wow! they were kind of pricey ... so I looked into kilt making kits and making one and was marginally encouraged ... utilizing the Google and the internets I did some research on kilt making and became mildly discouraged as the making of a traditional kilt would likely be beyond me and my sewing skills and mildly functioning opposable thumbs ... Still, I decide to trudge on...

I did my research ... on 8-9-07 I went to Joanne Fabrics ... I admit I was lost in there and the few other guys looked lost too ... one guy looked scared and alone ... another was there, looking kind of ticked, but his gf was smoking hot so I could understand why he was there ... the next guy I saw was with his wife, (gf?) but was dragging at least a step behind ... After about five (it felt like longer) minutes I finally asked about fabrics and tartan. At first the lady waiting on me was not sure what I was about, but after several minutes of obviously researched questions and having made it clear that I had done some snooping around prior to asking, she was really helpful .... But they did not have exactly what I wanted and this project needs to be exact or nothing.

On 8-14-07 there was a set back as the person who I thought would help me with it turns out to be opposed to the concept of it ... I bring it up to her with an amusing anecdote about going to Joannes... "I don't know how to pleat." She confesses ... She also finds them to be silly and weird...

On 8-24-07 I stop by the Utilikilt shop after work and discuss kilts with employee ... I decide I want their Coug kilt, but am still hoping that I can make one. My progress is not actually forward at this point.

On 8-25-07 I have a conversation with a kilt owner regarding my trip to Utilikilt and my plans ... he approves of the idea and wishes me luck ... my first success...

Since then I have studied a kilt making book from the library and done follow up research on the internets ... still nothing ... I am discouraged ... The few friends I have discussed this with actually are in favor of it, but it appears that the kilt making project will be a failure and if I get one it will be custom ordered online ... someday ...

... just not this year on St. Patrick's Day ...

No comments:

Post a Comment