Saturday, February 16, 2008

I went to their funeral ...

I went to their funeral...

In 1994 I had serious reservations about resurrecting the name Seattle Sounders. Unless the team in question was going to really live up to a pretty rich legacy for Seattle soccer fans I really felt that the name should remain retired. If MLS Seattle chooses to retire the name again, so be it ...

I feel the same way about the resurrection of the name Tacoma Stars. But, I guess, who am I to say? I went to the Tacoma Stars funeral in 1992. There was a big room where all of the Stars remaining merchandise and equipment could be purchased to raise money to pay off bills as the team folded. It sucked. I stood face to face with the Gm and said, "This sucks." I did not mean to berate him as I understood what was going on, but his response told me he felt I was accusing him of something. I was not...

... so if I make it up to visit Tim in Bellingham next weekend and catch a PASL game between the PSSA Rapids and the Tacoma Stars, it will be the first time I have seen the stars play in the 16 years since their funeral ...

No comments:

Post a Comment