Friday, June 06, 2008

The Customer is not always right ...

The Customer is not always right ...

I have long said that the notion that "the customer is always right" is the worst thing to ever happen to American culture.

Case in point.

On a recent stay in a chair getting my haircut at a large discount haircut chain I had the great privilege to witness just how badly some people will behave to get their way. I am not referring to a spoiled child. No, I am referring to a middle aged woman who was trying to scam and bluster her way past three unsuspecting hair stylists.

It was late in the evening on a Sunday and the store was to close soon. I find that it is a good time to go because the line is short if at all. Sure enough I was the only one in the chair and the other two ladies were cleaning up. In walks the customer. She sets down two items - that turned out to be almost empty mousse and the like - and demands her money back for the items. No, she does not have a receipt. The ladies point out that the items are nearly depleted and ask for her receipt. "The manager never makes me have a receipt," she says loudly, "just give me my damn money." Clearly, she is trying to bully these women into getting her way. One of the ladies decides to try and call the manager but cannot get through. After several minutes of haranguing and posturing the lady finally leaves. I leave my card with the store in case this woman comes back and accuses them of something that they did not do, since they were way more patient than she deserved.

It was clear that the items were not defective, they were mostly empty from use.

It was clear she chose a time where there would not be a manager, since no manager would have done it.

It was clear that the lack of a receipt was intentional.

I felt bad for the abuse those three ladies took.

The customer is not always right.

No comments:

Post a Comment