Thursday, June 12, 2008

Mariners past (Ephemera Project) ...

The links below are to three M's games from my childhood where remembering a few details led me to finding the actual box scores and information on the internets. God Bless baseball-reference.com ... this actually only took me a few minutes to find.

***

Mariners 9 Yankees 2
August 6, 1977 - Kingdome

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/SEA/SEA197708060.shtml

The above game is memorable for a couple reasons. First, just look at the Yankees lineup. Take a moment, I can wait. Do the names Catfish Hunter, Reggie Jackson, or Thurman Munson ring a bell? This Yankees team was managed by Billy Martin, and yes he cam out and argued a call. Second, the inside the park home run from Ruppert Jones coincided with my brother disappearing for a couple innings to look for a plastic Toronto Blue Jays helmet and returning to the seat to ask, "Did I miss anything?" We all still give him a hard time about it. Sometimes I still enjoy being a little brother. Perhaps I should email him this link.

***

Mariners 4 Brewers 3
July 2, 1978 - Kingdome

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/SEA/SEA197807020.shtml

I won a contest with Herfy's where I would be the "Honorary Bat Kid" for the game. No, didn't get to be on the bench for the game, but I did get to go down to the field during BP and get my picture taken with a Mariner. I was also going to be recognized on the big screen and announced to the crowd. Plus, we got something like 4 really good box seats for the game. I must have missed the big screen announcement. My photo was with Mariner shortstop Craig Reynolds, but it never came in the mail. I have wondered over the years if my brother had something to do with that.

***

Mariners 2 Angels 3
May 30, 1979 - Kingdome

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/SEA/SEA197905300.shtml

My dad took my brother and I to an M's game where we actually got to sit in the 200 Level, which was really cool at the time. I distinctly remember Nolan Ryan pitching a gem and Don Baylor smashing a home run. After looking at box scores this is the only Nolan Ryan Kingdome game that matches up since he only pitched in Seattle with the Angels a couple times before going to Houston, so it must be it. Check out the attendance. Years later I also got to see Ryan pitch in the Kingdome again, in what would prove to be his last ever start.

No comments:

Post a Comment