Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Daylight Savings Time - Premiere

"Daylight Savings Time" - Rough Cut Movie Premiere

October 26, 2008 - 7PM
Driftwood Theatre - Edmonds, WA

http://www.dstmovie.com/

I have to admit that I absolutely did not know what to expect. Independent films can be real gems or really hard to get through. And, although I know Matt Terry and have watched a short film called Walkin' After Midnight, I was still concerned that this might be two very long hours.

Fortunately - and good for you Matt - it was a genuinely enjoyable film with a number of very interesting scenes, characters, and moments. Daylight Savings Time is a good film.

Daylight Savings Time is the story of a group of people connected by a time management class and the challenge made to them to get out of their comfort zones and do something with the time they have; specifically to use the extra hour they get the weekend of daylight saving time (I use the word "saving" here as opposed to "savings" because my calendar lists it as "saving". There is apparently some sort of grammatical controversy here).

In order to make a premise work in an ensemble piece the characters must drive the premise into a story. The viewer must learn to care about their individual and collective circumstances. By giving us a voyeuristic and lingering look into the lives of these characters the simple notion of "what would you do with an extra hour?" the film takes on more emotional feeling.

Instead of just simply showing several people doing what must be new or different and difficult things for them there is background development prior to simply having them go at it. It is like we are peaking in on their lives at the most mundane and vulnerable moments, and that is why the results of their choices matter. A shorter film would not have been able to accomplish the same dramatic feelings.

It was also fun to sit in the theatre with the cast and crew in attendance. I have never had anyone whisper, "That's my dog behind the table" during a film before. The acting was definitely above the average indie movie fair in many instances. Too many films like this have an actor or two and everyone the director knows filling the other roles. This cast came across as professional. There are some very solid performances.

Yes, this was a rough cut showing, and there are some kinks to be worked out. And yes, I know Matt. However, I really did enjoy the film.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your review, Jeff. I was sorry to have to miss the film. Now that I've see the first "review," I certainly won't miss my next opportunity. Congrats to Matt!!!
    -Cami

    ReplyDelete