Sunday, June 21, 2009

D-Backs ...





Seattle Mariners 7
Arizona Diamondbacks 3
June 20, 2009
Seattle, WA - Safeco Field

Taking my kids to a Mariners game is fun. With the tenth anniversary of Safeco Field looming it is worth noting that I pretty much have only purchased the cheap seats for games I go to, with the exception of a couple of games with better seats to take my mom since she needs to be closer. The only times I have sat in what would be considered good seats were gifts. I have still yet to attend a game at Safeco Field in a suite, although I have been able to attend various games over the years in suites at Key Arena, Qwest Field, and The Kingdome.

Sitting out in Center Field also brings me back to sitting in the cheap seats in the Kingdome. I feel like I grew up in the Kingdome. We would simply be dropped off into the GA section in the scoreboard end zone. There were simply some yellow ropes to keep us in and with a couple minutes left they would drop the ropes so we could go off and find out parents. Yes, we were 9 or 10 and just randomly off in this monster of a stadium and then we would go get the parents while they waited in their seats all over the stadium ...

... they would NEVER go for that now ...

Due to spectacularly awful traffic for no real apparent reason it took us over 100 minutes to go 13 miles and so we were late in regards to tee shirt night and Griffey was sitting. But, we still got a good game. The only taint was the drunk dad in the row in front of us that had everyone in our section freaked out over how dangerous he was with a really squirmy kid near the railing - over and over again.

It's additionally weird that I have been to so many games and enjoy the stadium so much when I am opposed to public financing of stadiums and actually wrote against it in my college newspaper at the time. I even attended the first open house and 2nd game overall played in it ... it got built so I might as well enjoy it, eh?

Finally, I have now cut my list of MLB teams left to see in person to three with this game against the D-Backs; only the Cubs, Dodgers, and Astros to go.