Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Twilight

I don't understand the haters.

There are people who simply have to find out what other people like in order to hate on it. It doesn't matter what it is; it could be reality television, a pop star, or Harry Potter books and there is a group of people that can tell you everything wrong with the subject work without ever having actually read/watched/listened to it or being in the target audience of the subject work. These haters are like some sort of arrogant pop culture vanguard that are self appointed and self righteous.

Apparently, during the last few years the Twilight books and movie have been a bit of a phenomenon for teenage girls. I have to admit I was fairly oblivious to it before last fall, but after talking with a lot of students it was clear that Twilight was having the same effect on this generation of teenage girls as Star Wars had on my generation of teenage boys. They love it. L.O.V.E. I.T.

Therefore, I knew it was coming.

My daughter and I watched the movie version of Twilight a week or so ago. It was okay and watchable ... but let's face it, I am not now and have never been a teenage girl so I am not the target audience the filmmakers were looking for.

The other day she hands me the book. It is clear that it is time for me to read this. So, I have started. Apparently, by reading it I am tainting myself in the eyes of the self appointed and self righteous arrogant pop culture vanguard.

My daughter wants to read it with me as a shared experience. I cranked out the first chapter. So be it.