Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Completing Leagues

Next Sports Fan Goal for 2012 and Beyond = Completing Leagues

As a sports fan I attend a fair number of sporting events and follow a few teams above others. In recent years as I have embarked on the Oxymoron Project and the Ephemera Project certain details have emerged. Of the main four teams I follow I am nearly complete in the (current) teams of their respective leagues.

Seattle Sounders FC and MLS - I have not seen Toronto FC. Had a PDX trip worked out this past summer I would not be saying that. Next year the Montreal Impact join MLS and that will add a team to that list as it turns out that I never saw Montreal in the USL era either. I have also yet to see the MLS version of the Vancouver Whitecaps, but have seen the previous versions several times. Eventually, I will also see the new Whitecaps. In essence, I will need to see the 3 Canadian MLS teams to be truly complete. The two contracted Florida teams do not apply as this is based on the current MLS structure.

WSU Cougars and the PAC12 - Focusing on football, the only PAC12 team I have not seen is Utah. Colorado was a non-conference opponent in Seattle several years ago. In fact, of the old PAC10 schools UCLA is the only opponent I have not seen play at least twice. Utah is in Pullman in November this season, but I cannot go so this may happen either when the Utes play at UW or at Pullman in the future. Other Cougar sports such as volleyball, hoops, and soccer are only the new schools on the list as I have attended so many various sporting events while living in Pullman.

Seattle Storm and the WNBA - Other than some folded teams I failed to see, the only current team to see is Washington to complete the current 12 team WNBA.

Seattle Mariners and MLB - The Houston Astros are it. If I count the Montreal Expos and Washington Nationals as separate entities that means I have seen 30 of the 31 possible teams play in AL, NL, Interleague, and Cactus League play. As soon as Houston comes around in IL play it will be solved as they do not do Spring Training in Arizona at this point.