Thursday, February 08, 2007

Salt

Salt

The year was 1986. I was a freshman at Wazzu and eating in the dorm cafeteria one day when my roommate chided me for salting my food so much. It was no big deal, I would grab the salt shaker and sprinkle a little salt on stuff. He challenged me to not salt my food for a week. I was thinking that was a bit silly, but up for the challenge. He then told me to go right back to salting it again the same way the following week. He was taking a nutrition class or something and was trying to prove a point about there being enough salt added to most foods that it was never necessary to salt food anymore.

A week passed.

I did not salt my food.

The following week I grabbed the salt shaker and went to work. It was disgusting. I could not eat it. In one week my taste buds had adjusted to the lack of additional salt. To this day I simply don’t grab the salt shaker.

I have told this story enough times now …

No comments:

Post a Comment