Thursday, February 08, 2007

Thai Kickboxing


Thai Kickboxing

The bumps, bruises, and other fun things associated with taking tae kwon do three nights a week just weren’t enough for me. Last February, I took Master Richards up on his Black Belt Club offer and added two nights a week of Thai Kickboxing to my schedule.

So, as I was a deputy black belt and was progressing toward my black belt in one martial art I found myself once again wearing the white belt in another martial art.

Where tae kwon do is focused primarily on the legs and kicking, the kickboxing class has an emphasis on upper body moves. The first several classes damn near killed my shoulders. Over time I felt noticeably stronger and found that my shoulders and neck and chest fit in my tee shirts a bit more snugly. A friend even pointed out that I appeared to have buffed up a bit, which was very kind of her.

I am of the belief that the extra upper body strength I developed from the second martial art directly contributed to the lack of severe injury and ability to come back quickly from the recent rollover accident I had.

No comments:

Post a Comment