Thursday, February 08, 2007

16 weeks of couch potato Wednesday nights has begun ...


Fans get too possessive …

This is something I noticed back in high school, what you like defines yourself to others and will play a role in the formation of groups. Other people seem to care an awful lot about what you like, as though it is a reflection back on them. In politics, I am convinced that a lot the climate change opposition among many Conservatives is because they don’t like the people who back it and therefore don’t want to be associated with it.

Shows like Lost generate intense and loyal followings. In just a couple of years there has become something of a bandwagon jumping on for people who missed it at first and are now catching up. For some reason, people deciding to watch the show now is bothering the people who watched it at first, as though it somehow will make the show less enjoyable to those who happened to find the show at first. And, let’s face it, that is all that happened, some people just stumbled onto it first.

This is one of those pet peeve things. Someone tells me I should be watching something, that I am really missing out. So, I watch it and enjoy it and catch some reruns and recaps and now am on the way to enjoying how the story unfolds. But, because I am not home a lot and didn’t see it right away, I am supposedly not a real fan in the eyes of those who stumbled across it first. Whoop de doo. If I don’t watch it I am missing out, but if I do watch it I can’t consider myself a fan? Bite me.

The late Andy Wood was quoted in City Heat many years ago as not caring about who his fans were. It bothered him that people cared about what others liked. He just wanted people to come out and have a good time to the music.

My bro was giving me a hard time that I was having to have the show taped, that if I was a real fan I would watch it live. Well, with the switch to ten o’clock it is now harder for him to catch it because of his early schedule. I pointed out to him recently that if he was a real fan he would stay up and he gave me that pursed lip look he so often has given me.

So, last night a sixteen week stretch of couch potato Wednesdays began … and even though it is basically the only show I watch regularly I am not a real fan because other Lost fans don’t think so.

No comments:

Post a Comment