Friday, May 09, 2008

Another Look At ... (#1) ... Metal Church - The Dark


Another Look At ... (#1) ... Metal Church - The Dark

I used to do a lot of reviews for my college paper and various magazines ... what I am going to do now is occasionally post reviews of gems from my record and tape collection that I never reviewed, but are very worthy of anyone who reads this taking a moment to consider ....

I saw Metal Church ... but it was after the most dreaded of all personnel changes any band can face; the loss of a lead singer. They were still a good band, but it just was not the same for me because I loved this record more than I even could have liked the one they were touring on with the new guy.

David Wayne died on May 9, 2005.

Track Listing:
"Ton of Bricks" - 3:00
"Start the Fire" - 3:50
"Method to Your Madness" - 4:52
"Watch the Children Pray" - 5:57
"Over My Dead Body" - 3:36
"The Dark" - 4:11
"Psycho" - 3:32
"Line of Death" - 4:42
"Burial at Sea" - 4:58
"Western Alliance" - 3:18

This is a record that I can still put in and play more than once in a row. "Ton of Bricks" is one of my favorite opening numbers of all time; it just sets the tone for the entire album. "Watch the Children Pray" is one of the best metal songs of the 80s. "Line of Death" clearly dates the album because it deals with Muammar Gaddafi. "Method to Your Madness" showed Wayne to be more than just a screamer. I mention Wayne here, but the band as a whole was simply fantastic on this record with great riffs and head banging moments throughout ...

A great record from a band that seemed to be head to head with Metallica when it came out in 1986 ...

No comments:

Post a Comment