Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Despite everything, I still can't vote for McCain ...

Despite everything, I still can't vote for McCain ...

I am frustrated.

For months now I have tried to avoid the debacle that is the 2008 presidential primary season. But, it keeps forcing its way into my vision.

I am a Democrat. Years ago I decided that my politics do not perfectly fit into the Democratic Party, but that they would hardly fit at all in the Republican fold.

However, I like John McCain.

There are those in the US electorate that continually state that they vote for the man and not the party, but that is foolhardy since you get the party with the man. When Senator McCain comes out and promises more conservative judges it reminds me of this fact.

In 2000, I found myself rooting against Hillary Clinton in New York so as to end the Clinton Era in US politics; but Rudy imploded and here we are. It would not be my preference to see her in the Oval Office, but with everything that would come along with McCain I would consider myself as having no choice but to vote for her.

The more I listen to and follow Barack Obama, the less impressed I get. I recently watched him on Sunday morning TV repudiating his 2 decades old relationship with his pastor; an effort that seemed at best half-hearted and calculated on his part. Change? Hardly ...

However, again I would find myself voting for him because of what would come with a McCain presidency.

Should Senator McCain win I know I will be able to live with that aspect of another Republican victory, as he is likely to be able to work fairly well with Democrats given his history. But should McCain win, the Democratic candidate that was not nominated will simply be back in 4 years since they will spend all of that time saying, "See, you nominated the wrong one." No matter which of the two it is ...

I used to be a political junkie. Now, I am just tired of it. The 2008 election feels like it will never go away.

No comments:

Post a Comment