Thursday, April 24, 2008

Battlestar Galactica ...


Battlestar Galactica ...

I resisted Battlestar Galactica (Mark 2) until this weekend. The weather was crappy - as in snowing - so I went to the library to get some movies because I knew that I would be staying in. The selection was thin, given that I am not the only person to use the library as a free version of Netflix. But, there was the Battlestar Galactica miniseries on DVD. I had time. I checked it out.

Crap.

It's good.

I was the exact right age for the original series when it came out and watched every episode; yes, even the 1980 season on Earth. However, I was more of a Buck Rogers fan if forced to choose. That being said, I was sad when it was cancelled and perplexed as to why anyone would want to remake it. It's not like Star Trek where they could jump forward a few decades and exist in the same story. Battlestar Galactica got hosed by the 1980 season on Earth. If a new Battlestar Galactica was to be done, it could not just pick up the storyline a generation later or something. It also had to do some things to differentiate itself from its predecessor. We are fortunate that it is easy to like both the original and the modern version.

I know that some remakes or re-imagings can be good. I didn't expect this to be one of them. Not having cable made it easy to ignore. But now, due to the wonders of DVD's being readily available for entire seasons I can take the next year or two and catch up ...

1 comment:

  1. Just wait until you start watching the series....it gets better and better.

    ReplyDelete