Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Supporting the Blazers will NEVER be acceptable ...

Supporting the Blazers will NEVER be acceptable ...

The other day this kid was wearing a Roy Trailblazers jersey. Popular player with local ties does well and so I could understand that. Then when I asked him about it he told me that it was because the Sonics were leaving so he was rooting for the Blazers as the next local team. I teased him a bit about it being a traitor's jersey and had to explain to him the rivalry element of my comments since it seemed to really upset him. Eventually, he understood that the Sonics/Blazers this was a Cougar/Husky thing to me ...

But ... rooting for the Blazers because the Sonics are likely leaving is simply unacceptable.

No.

No, no, no ...

I cannot and will not do it.

I could not and would not root for the UW if Wazzu gave up football.

I could not and would not have rooted for the Raiders had the Seahawks really left town.

I could not and would not root for the Whitecaps or the Timbers in the Sounders had folded. In 1991 went up to Vancouver and watched a couple games when the Storm folded and could not really bring myself to cheer.

I could not and would not have have started supporting the A's if the M's had left town.

Bill Simmons and his "Fan Rules" will back me on this one. Basically, in the case of the Sonics and Blazers it is better to become an NBA widow or general NBA fan than to root for the Blazers ....

Now, if the kid like Roy because of his Seattle ties and thinks he is a great player, I can live with that ...

But ... supporting the Blazers will NEVER be acceptable ...

No comments:

Post a Comment