Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Left Behind


Left Behind

You know ... I had hoped to like this book ... and I almost do ...

For years I have seen this series of books on the shelves and thought about reading them. What I tend to do is read the first book of a series ... not the first 100 pages, but the entire first book ...

I am a huge fan of dystopian or post-apocalyptic literature and film. Not having at least sampled the Left Behind Series seemed silly. Now I have. It is possible that I could read more of the books, but I doubt it will happen soon.

Bear in mind that I do not agree with the particular biblical viewpoint the book espouses ... but that is not what I found lacking ... the writing and dialogue were simply not that good ... the plot and story and characters were potentially interesting, but were too obvious in their roles ... it felt sort of dumbed down when it had the opportunity to be so much more ... as to the controversy that the book is anti everything, I just don't see how that is an issue ... These books are written from a perspective that is trying to use literary forms to flesh out what Revelations might look like were it to come to pass as interpreted by the writers ... it would be really hard for them to then include everyone else's interpretation into their fictional world ... and the word fictional is the key ... Much like the accusations against Dan Brown I do not see the need to vilify the Left Behind writers for taking a particular interpretation of The Bible and flushing out what that might mean as fiction ...

I just thought it would be a little less obvious in its narrative and let the story tell itself ...

No comments:

Post a Comment