Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Suzie



Back in high school I worked my junior year and summer at Jack in the Box ... (which feels like admitting I liked Duran Duran) ...

In an effort to make the best of the learning experience that is one's first real job with FICA taxes I did little things to keep my sanity ...

For instance ... I would utilize all of the huge and obscure words the CP and AP teachers would make us learn in English ... whenever I could I would drop a word into conversations that would make people wonder if I was making it up ... at 1:47AM on a Sunday morning when you are making a Bacon Cheeseburger for a schoolmate that is out having a good time, one does what one can to keep one's sanity short of spitting on a burger ... and sometimes we would go swimming after work at a local lake ... or I would golf before Ballinger opened and pay on my way out ...

Anyways ... I decided I had enough of that at the end of the Summer and took a job bagging groceries for my senior year ... in the world of high school jobs that was a serious step up ...

Before I could go, the burger flipping coworkers were kind enough to throw me a little party and one of the coworkers was nice enough to get me the dictionary ... I remember that Suzie could match me on vocab and it was fun to work with her ... there was a time circa 93ish that I recall running into her on a bus downtown ...

And, last Friday when I hosted SCRABBLE NIGHT I needed to place some sort of a dictionary out for disputes of obscure two and three letter words ... without the ability to have scrabble dot com available I decided that the best thing to do was to utilize the dictionary I still have that was given to me by Suzie ...

Whatever happened to Suzie???

No comments:

Post a Comment